Welcome to the 50th Episode of the Rebel Health Coach Podcast. First I would like to take a minute and thank each and every one of you for listening. It means a lot to me!!
People kept saying, “Thom you should start a podcast… it’s easy!” Well, this isn’t as easy as people said it was going to be… as a matter of fact it is a lot of work. But I couldn’t be happier doing it!
I would like to thank my good friend Chel Hamilton from Meditation Minis for getting me started. She was a guest on Episode 17 and her podcast is one I frequently recommend to clients who need some guided meditation and are crunched for time.
I know that the Rebel Health Coach Podcast is a small fish in a big pond, and my goal for this podcast is to cover all things health and wellness – meditation, self-love, food, hormones, supplements, and beyond. It’s a grand goal, but if just one of my shows changes someone’s life, I have done my job!!
Like I said my goal is to change peoples lives in this crazy world we live in!
I’d like to offer a quick review of the most downloaded episodes of the show so far. If you haven’t already listened to them all, I high recommend going back and checking these out:
- Ep. 36 – Test, Don’t Guess: Hormonal Health & The DUTCH Test. My dear friend Dr. Carrie Jones is the Medical Director for Precision Analytical and an internationally recognized speaker, consultant, and educator on the topic of women’s health and hormones.
- Ep. 35 – The Optimal Health Model: Maximize, Minimize, & Prioritize – Part 1. This was a Solo Episode and part 1 of 3 of the three steps to optimal health and living a healthy life, which are maximizing what is needed, minimizing what is harmful, and prioritizing an environment for healing. In part one of this three-part series, we focus on maximizing what our bodies need.
- Ep. 37 – The Origin Story of KB Pure Essentials & The Life-Changing Benefits of CBD Oil. Brooke Brun and Katie Moodie are the Co-Founders of KB Pure Essentials, a lifestyle company offering an all-natural line of wellness and beauty products formulated with CBD. Their goal is to bring the life- and health-changing benefits of CBD to every individual through easy accessibility, while leading the way in community education.
- Ep. 43 – Hormone Replacement Therapy: Past to Present (Part 1). This is the first of a series of episodes diving into Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (or BHRT). I’m joined by two guests, Marie Hoäg and Anthony Llabres, to cover what BHRT is and everything you might want to know about it.
- Ep. 47 – Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy: Menopause Prevention & Female Hormone Health (Part 4). I was joined by my good friend Marie Hoag, the founder and CEO of Panacea Sciences, and we discuss getting a woman to that Hormone Sweet Spot and Menopause.
- Ep. 48 – Hormone Replacement Therapy: What Questions Should Women Ask a Doctor Specializing in HRT? (Part 5). Dr. James Nagel specializes in Advanced Hormone Restoration Therapy and started Quality of Life Medicine, a boutique Hormone Medicine clinic that specializes in advanced hormone restoration therapies.
- Ep. 40 – Letting it Be. This episode is with a dear friend from my past, Dr. Lisa Templeton. She is a clinical psychologist, author, musician, poet, and spiritual guide. She founded and owns Interpersonal Healing Clinic, and we discuss her amazing new book Letting it Be: Mindful Lessons Toward Acceptance.
- Ep. 33 – Transforming The Overweight Mind – with Jay Nixon. We discuss his great book, The Overweight Mind – The Undeniable Truth Behind Why Your Not Losing Weight. And since that episode, Jay started his own excellent podcast, Thrive Forever Fit with Jay Nixon. Give it a listen!
My Weight Loss Journey & Tips
I would like to take a minute and go back to one of the most basic and most important topics in the health and wellness field: weight loss.
The U.S. weight loss market is estimated to be worth $70 billion in 2018 and climbing. Continued high rates of obesity and overweight, coupled with low unemployment and higher disposable income, are boosting the market.
Yet more than 95% gain weight back after they lose it.
Why does this happen? Mindset and bad habits are the biggest culprits, but let’s not forget to mention the root cause of many people’s weight problems: gut health, food allergies, insulin resistance, hormone health, and sometimes even prescriptions.
I suggest going back and listening to The Optimal Health Model: Maximize, Minimize, & Prioritize Series
In Episode 35, I discuss maximizing what is needed for our bodies to thrive.
Then in Episode 41, I discuss minimizing the things that are harmful to our bodies.
Lastly, in Episode 45 I discuss prioritizing the things that create an environment for healing.
The reason I want to address this today is I saw this image on Facebook about a 30-Day Challenge.
What do all of the things listed have in common? They are all man-made foods…with the exception of Potatoes, which I feel should not be on this list, Nothing wrong with a Sweet Potato!! So does this feel so difficult for people to do?
Now, do I eat healthy 100% of the time? No, absolutely not! I enjoy Aunt Bettie’s cake on her Birthday, and I enjoy a pint of Chunky Monkey once a Month.
I like to practice a 90/10 rule; feeding my body what it needs to thrive 90 percent of the time, and feeding my indulgences 10 percent of the time.
Because, in my opinion, DIET is a 4 letter word.
This is a lifestyle change, not rocket science. You just have to eat real food – although I totally understand that this is a hard habit to break.
There is no quick fix, there is no magic pill, and there is no miraculous MLM supplement. I want you to be healthy, and I want to celebrate with you! Is it easy? Nope. But believe me, nothing beats the feeling you get when…
- you have to go buy clothes 2 sizes smaller
- you get positive feedback
- you don’t have to get that Rx filled every month
I know – I lived this!!
I was 289lbs in February of 2007. I feel your pain, and that is exactly why I decided to take this journey so that I can help people get healthy, change, overcome the BS in their head, and fix the root causes of weight gain.
We don’t have a health care system, we have a sick care system – so stop the madness and take control over your own destiny and life.
I did and so can you, and I am here to help you if you need support. And if we are not a good fit, I know some very talented and compassionate people that I can recommend you to.
Now, I am not your guy if you want to lose weight for a wedding, for a photo shoot, for swimsuit season, Honestly, I don’t want to help you if that is what you’re looking for.
I want to help you create a lifestyle for the rest of your life! I want to help you live a life you enjoy! I want you to send me pictures of you walking your daughter down the aisle, playing with your grandchildren – what I want for you is long-term health and wellness!
I want to help you become the best version of yourself so that when you see that same image I saw on Facebook, you’ll say, “Hell, that’s easy! I do that every day.”
If you want to chat, I offer a Free 20-Minute Consultation. Click this link or go to ThomUnderwood.net, click the red button on the home page that says “Book Now,” and schedule your consultation.
Do you want more to empower yourself through healthy living? Is your busy lifestyle an obstacle to your health? Join The Rebel Health Coach community for the support and knowledge you need for better performance, better business and a better you!
Disclaimer: The activities and research discussed in these podcasts are suggestions only and are only advised to be undertaken following prior consultation with a health or medical professional. Fitness training, nutrition, and other physical pursuits should be tailored to the individual based upon an assessment of their personal needs.